Using the Law to Fight Poverty in Ohio
This is not a drill. You need to take action today to stop a House floor amendment that will defund Ohio’s current Medicaid expansion. The budget bill Butler Amendment will be on the House floor Wednesday.
What you need to do: CALL AND EMAIL your House member or members TODAY and ask them to TABLE the BUTLER FLOOR AMENDMENT that would DEFUND EXPANSION. Call Democrats and Republicans. Contact Information: If you don’t know who your representative is, please visit: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov.
What is the amendment and why do we think it will be offered?
* The amendment would remove all funding for Group 8 (expansion population) from the budget bill (HB 64) and remove all references of Group 8 from the Revised Code.
* The amendment sponsor believes that removing expansion from the budget bill will provide Ohio the best leverage to negotiate a better deal with the federal government.
Why should this risky amendment be tabled?
* Defunding expansion will cut off coverage for more than 500,000
* Do we really want to play a game of chicken with the federal
government while more than 500,000 Ohioans’ lives hang in the balance?
* Expansion is working; don’t let Ohio take a step backwards.
Contact Information: If you don’t know who your representative is, please visit: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov.
PLEASE TAKE 20 MINUTES TODAY TO STOP THIS RISKY AMENDMENT.
Equal Pay Day april 14th
The Paycheck Fairness Act has again been reintroduced and last year we had a lot of success broadening the pay inequality conversation by observing additional Equal Pay Days reflecting the pay gap for women of color. Let’s keep it up! An updated social media kit containing dates, graphics, sample tweets/posts, and additional resources is available on the NOW Leaders page. Please use the kit during the April 14th Twitter Storms at 2-3PM EST and 9-10PM EST as well as throughout the year.
At the current rate, women in the United States will not receive equal pay until 2058. Read the first report in the Status of Women in the States: 2015 series, Employment & Earnings>>
Follow IWPR on Twitter @IWPResearch and Facebook.
This highly qualified candidate is a long-time ally of the anti-trafficking, anti-violence movement, and the Senate has acted to secure strong leadership at the top. Without the confirmation, the Department of Justice cannot move forward to:
- Implement the 2013 Violence Against Women Act – particularly establishing tribal courts to address domestic and dating violence on tribal lands, finalizing the VAWA provisions that protect LGBT survivors, and rolling out new sexual assault protections;
- Hold colleges accountable for civil rights violations arising from campus sexual assault and dating violence crimes; and
- Press for funding for grassroots domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking programs.
Loretta Lynch is more than qualified to be the Attorney General: Contact your Senators today (Capitol switchboard: 202-224-3121) and thank them for their confirmation vote on Loretta Lynch.
Senator Rob Portman email: https://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form.
Senator Sherrod Brown email: http://www.brown.senate.gov/contact