wRITE TO MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO KEEP HEALTH CARE INSURANCE
Top 10 Things WHY Women MUST KEEP from Health Reform
- Insurance companies must cover all FDA-approved contraception without extra co-pays.
- Insurance companies must cover mammograms and pap smears without extra co-pays.
- Insurance companies must cover maternity care.
- Insurance companies must cover breastfeeding equipment and support.
- Women can’t be denied for “pre-existing conditions” such as pregnancy, having had a C-section, or being a survivor of domestic violence.
- Insurance exchanges will help consumers compare insurance policies, and in most families women are critical in making health insurance decisions.
- Women are more likely than men to work for small businesses that don’t offer health insurance, and will benefit from the new tax credits to help small businesses provide coverage to their employees.
- Young women—who are more likely to be uninsured than women in any other age group—benefit form a new rule that allows young adults to remain on their parents’ health insurance policy as a dependant until age 26.
- Older women benefit from a provision that closes the Medicare Part D “donut hole”—which currently requires seniors to send a considerable amount out-of-pocket for prescription drugs. In 2007, 64% of the Medicare beneficiaries that were affected by the “donut hole” were women.