FIREARMS – PRIMARY WEAPON OF CHOICE
Please take a minute to call Congress immediately, and ask your legislators:
1) To pass common sense gun legislation that fills gaps in federal law. Ask your Member of Congress to protect those who are NOT covered by current federal firearms laws:
- victims of dating violence and stalking: bipartisan S.1520 and bipartisan H.R.3130
- victims of abuse who are seeking temporary protection orders and victims of stalking: S.1834
- victims of dating violence, stalking, and victims with temporary protection orders: H.R.2216
2) Survivors of abuse are incredibly vulnerable to firearm-related homicide, and yet many are not protected by current law. Your member of Congress needs to hear that you care about this — these gaps allow abusers to terrorize and murder victims, their children, family members and other bystanders.
Even victims and survivors who are ostensibly protected from gun violence under current law are at risk when law enforcement fails to enforce the domestic violence gun prohibitor. To ensure both existing and new laws are enforced, Congress must:
- Pass a bill, to be introduced soon, to ensure prohibited perpetrators surrender their firearms and to otherwise ensure law enforcement and courts enforce existing law (similar to last Congress’ H.R. 3566 and S.2676);
- Increase funding to the ATF to provide stronger federal actions to keep guns out of the hands of abusers;
- Encourage states to adopt and implement their own laws to remove firearms from persons subject to protection orders or convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence; and
- Provide states with robust funding to ensure all criminal records and protective orders are entered into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and require states to prioritize entering misdemeanor domestic violence convictions and protective orders.
Please call and/or send a message to your Members of Congress urging them to sponsor and support this lifesaving legislation. Social media posts are also a great way to make your views known. Below are talking points and sample Tweets and Facebook posts. Our primary hashtags for this day of action are #EndDVNow and #ProtectAllWomen. Top of Form
Find your Senators and Representative here; enter your full nine-digit zip code for the best results. Be sure to say you are a constituent!